Dârjiu

The fortified Unitarian church is a World Heritage Site. It is the oldest and most important fortified church and monument in the Odorhei region. The frescoes on the walls of the church were painted in 1419, and are among the most fascinating portrayals of the Legend of St. Ladislaus (Ladislaus I of Hungary). The style of the church indicates a transition between Romanesque and Gothic. Its present form is a result of the expansion and rebuilding of its Romanesque chapel from the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. The Gothic-style rebuilding is
assumed to have occurred in the second half of the fifteenth century.

”St. Ladislau was a fearless warrior already while he was only a prince. He took part in countless battles against the marauding Cumans. The fresco in the church in Székelyderzs bears witness that
this happened so.”

Ulieș

The township consists of eight settlements and is rich in natural resources, medieval churches and beautiful houses that conjure up past times. The most important touristic attractions in the area are the 150 years’ old oaks atop the Egei Pass, the daffodil meadow, and the Unitarian church of Daia built in the thirteenth century, considered one of the greatest historical monuments in the region.

”With time a village was built in the place of the fort and it was named after the girl who had a lot of pain inflicted on her. The springs in the hill, according to local lore, collected the bitter tears of Kite.”

Merești

The beauty of the landscape, the traditional and original architecture of the village and its folk art, the hospitality of the locals, the everyday life of the farmers and homesteaders, the sight of horse carriages, the lifestyle of the shepherds, the use of tools long forgotten and recently rediscovered all offer a lasting experience for urban visitors or tourists from faraway lands.

„Valiant Csala with his neat, dodgy ways managed to weaken the tartar army, however, this was not enough.”

Șoimușu Mare

The name of the village derives from its history: it was once the village of royal falconers, near the creek Lok. Around the boundaries, at the place called Ősvár used to stand an earthen fort.

Cădaciu Mic

The village used to have its own Unitarian church, which was built in 1812 on the bank of the Nicau River. The church was closed in 1926 and subsequently demolished in 1969. The salvaged materials were reused for the restoration of the church in Cădaciu Mare in 1971. Another interesting site in the village is a roofed bridge, constructed in 1929.

”The leader of the Szeklers sat down in front of the khan’s tent, so he watched the sunrise:
– I love this place – he said. From that day on the hilltop is called Szeret-tető (Lovecrest), and the creek that runs
through the valley is called Szeret (Love).”

Lueta

Lueta’s Roman Catholic church was built between 1771-1776 in late Baroque style. The Fort of Álmos, atop Fort Hill, was built in the Bronze Age and is part of the Wittenberg culture.

”Nine fiends pulled the iron plow which was as large as a biggish house. They ploughed deep into the ground and started to plow the whole of Hargita to sow the seeds of vice and sins.”




Lupeni

Lupeni and Áron Tamási−the village and the writer–have merged into one in the minds of the locals. A masterfully carved stone statue, an artistic monument, stands to honor the famous native, along with a small museum that keeps the legacy. The Roman Catholic church was built between 1842-1848.

Miercurea Ciuc

The Mikó Castle was built in between 1623–1631 in Neo-Renaissance style. It is the most important historical monument and sight in Ciuc. At present, it is home to the region’s premier museum, the Szekler Museum of Ciuc. Jigodin was a village in Harghita county until 1930. Jigodin lies on the bank of the Fitód creek, it became the southern part of Miercurea Ciuc in 1930. A part of the old village became a spa called Jigodin Spa. Opposite the village, on the banks of the Olt River, on a hilltop called Small Fort Hill, ruins of a fort can be seen.

”On the edge of the cliff, where the mistress was waiting for her husband in the days of long ago, the traces of her feet can be still seen.”



Siculeni

The name of the village is interwoven with the tragic events that occurred in 1764, when a protest against the forced organization of the Szekler border control sparked a bloody retaliation by the Habsburg imperial army, and which led to a massacre of the locals. The SICULICIDIUM monument stands to commemorate the victims of the massacre.

Frumoasa

Throughout the eighteenth century, Frumoasa was an important commercial center in the Ciuc Basin. The dam and reservoir in the Frumoasa valley were built in 1986 and currently supply water to Miercurea-Ciuc.

”King St. Ladislaus found a spring with a clean, glistening water, so he stopped to drink and refresh himself. As soon as he tasted the water and splashed some on his face, he felt his powers