Ocland

An interesting feature of the beautifully adorned boarded ceiling of the Unitarian church is a board that illustrates the Copernican planetary system.

Dârjiu

The fortified Unitarian church is a World Heritage Site. It is the oldest and most important fortified church and monument in the Odorhei region. The frescoes on the walls of the church were painted in 1419, and are among the most fascinating portrayals of the Legend of St. Ladislaus (Ladislaus I of Hungary). The style of the church indicates a transition between Romanesque and Gothic. Its present form is a result of the expansion and rebuilding of its Romanesque chapel from the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. The Gothic-style rebuilding is
assumed to have occurred in the second half of the fifteenth century.

”St. Ladislau was a fearless warrior already while he was only a prince. He took part in countless battles against the marauding Cumans. The fresco in the church in Székelyderzs bears witness that
this happened so.”

Orășeni

Historical records tell us that the villagers converted to Protestantism at the end of the sixteenth century. The present-day church dates from 1785 and was built in the place of an older church.

Băile Tușnad

Tusnad Spa is one of the great health spas and mountain resorts of Romania, at the same time, one of its smallest towns as well. Its subalpine climate and clear air rich in negative aerosols and ions are sure to place this pleasant resort town on the tourist trail.

”Tusnádfürdő, as the place was later called, served for centuries the healing of the old and sick. Even today, visitors come from faraway lands, looking for respite and remedy for their ailment and problems.”

Crăciunel

During Reformation, the Catholic villagers converted to Unitarianism, along with their church. It is the only village in the Odorhei region where the late Romanesque-style sanctuary of the church has remained intact.

Ulieș

The township consists of eight settlements and is rich in natural resources, medieval churches and beautiful houses that conjure up past times. The most important touristic attractions in the area are the 150 years’ old oaks atop the Egei Pass, the daffodil meadow, and the Unitarian church of Daia built in the thirteenth century, considered one of the greatest historical monuments in the region.

”With time a village was built in the place of the fort and it was named after the girl who had a lot of pain inflicted on her. The springs in the hill, according to local lore, collected the bitter tears of Kite.”

Cristuru Secuiesc

The town got its name after its church, which was erected in honor of the Holy Cross. At the same time, the name of the town also carries reference to a hill that rises above, Jesus Caller and its cross.

”Back in the days of the battles of the Holy War, in the valley of the Gagy stream, next to the river Big Küküllő, a few knights took roots. First they only used the place for resting, then slowly they built some houses, and before long a settlement was founded.”

Porumbenii Mari

Its Reformed church was built during the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries in a transitionary style. Its notable artifacts are: the sanctuary, the doorframe of the vestry, the foundation wall of the ossarium, remains of medieval frescoes dating from the fourteenth century and the boarded ceiling from 1789. The Lake of Rac is a
natural park.

„Close to Nagygalambfalva, in the place of Crab’s Lake, there used to be house. A wealthy but wicked spinster used to live there, Mrs. Crab, with her ugly daughter and beautiful step-daughter. The days came and passed, and the step-daughter got sadder by the day. Her life got harder and more hopeless every day and she had no one to share her suffering with. She cried more and more, her tears streaming down day and night. This is how Crab’s Lake emerged.”

Lacul Sfânta Ana

St. Ann Lake is the only large volcanic lake in Europe that is sitting on an intact crater. The area is a natural reservation. The lake and the Ciomatul Mountain are mentioned in documents as early as 1349. Twice a year, on Ann’s name day and on the Day of Our Lady, a service used to be held in the small chapel on the lake.

”Anna stayed at the lake. She built a small chapel and prayed to God there till the end of her life for having saved her and her companions from a shameful end. She was sainted in her lifetime, and the lake was named after her, while the small chapel is a site of pilgrimage today.”

Merești

The beauty of the landscape, the traditional and original architecture of the village and its folk art, the hospitality of the locals, the everyday life of the farmers and homesteaders, the sight of horse carriages, the lifestyle of the shepherds, the use of tools long forgotten and recently rediscovered all offer a lasting experience for urban visitors or tourists from faraway lands.

„Valiant Csala with his neat, dodgy ways managed to weaken the tartar army, however, this was not enough.”